The fifth session of the IOC’s Sub Commission for Africa and the Adjacent Island States stressed the importance of improving access to ocean data and information in the region and supported the development of a regional node for the Ocean Information Hub.
A virtual regional stakeholders meeting organized on 10 June 2020, provided a platform to:
- share information on regional projects involved in data and information management and data infrastructure development in Africa,
- identify existing data and information infrastructures that could be potential partners with the Ocean Infohub
- identify existing data and information infrastructure that address these requirements and can partner in the development of the regional hub
- identify some initial end user needs/knowledge products not yet covered by existing initiatives
- explore opportunities and mechanisms for collaboration in developing a regional node for the ocean information hub.
Follow-up bilateral and regional partners meetings were organized, to discuss the development of proof of concepts for pilot interoperability projects. Organizations participating included the UNEP Nairobi Convention, the Coastal Oceans Research and Development – Indian Ocean (CORDIO) East Africa, the Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association, the IUCN Biodiversity and Protected Areas Management Program (BIOPAMA), and the MarCoSouth project.
IOCAFRICA’s contribution to OIH is available at the AFRICA PORTAL